Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Power of None

I find one of the most unfortunate paradoxes of student lifestyle to be that, while the very design of our endeavour mandates us to engage our minds in the heights of academic debate, thinking thoughts with various degree of real life applicability, that same occupational design forces us to fight the most mundane of battles. In other words, intellectual rigor is not yet purchasing power, and I for one have found my rights as a consumer violated on a number of occasions chiefly because my pattern of consumption, saving, spending, or rent-paying evidently does not tickle the relevant service providers sufficiently for them to care about the quality of their product. The particular disturbance I find myself entrapped by, and the bizzare fuel for my attention deficit vis-a-vis academia, is that my landlord has undertaken a, as of the moment, two month long repair work of my terrace, rending it inaccessible, failing to complete the work on time or provide adequate compensation for the inconvenience caused. What could I possibly leverage in this dispute? My Financial Regulation essay? My knowledge of market based regulation? My ability to express my utter aggravation with a number of synonyms and metaphors? None of these would work, that is certain. My intuitive decision to assess whether the UK housing market has a built in safety net helpful in my situation led me to the advice to contact a solicitor. A banal advice which, again, brings my monetary predicament to the forefront, not to mention my distaste for wasting time at the moment. Oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment