Monday, January 25, 2010

Haiti

I just finished watching the Help for Haiti Now concert and I'm finding it hard to go to sleep, even though it's probably a good idea. There's few reasons why. Last week alone I talked to probably few hundreds university alumni asking them for donations. I made couple of hundred pounds of the school and the organization I work for raised in the amount of thousands. This money would have been better spent on antibiotics and food. I know that the biggest problem in relieving disasters like this one is not the money, but its distribution. I still cannot feel right about going to work this Wednesday and asking people to donate. Part of the reason is that I myself am using several thousands of the school's money on my scholarship. For a degree I am not sure I want, towards a career I am almost certain I will not enjoy and that has little value added towards the economy in general, albeit the fees it attracts, and for an education I put suboptimal amount of time into. I had a friend from Haiti couple of years ago. We never spoke after that summer. I hope his family is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment